Education / Careers
Clear Career Potential
Whenever you see a shimmering glass-sheathed highrise, a
housing project or a storefront window, chances are you are
seeing the work of a glazier. Glaziers are the professionals
who measure, cut, prepare, install and repair glass and its
associated metal structures.
Glazing is a time-honored trade dating back thousands of
years. Today, glaziers have never been more in demand. There
is BC with the residential and commercial construction booming,
there is an urgent need to hire hundreds of people to work
in glazing related jobs.
Did you know?
- The 2010 Olympic projects alone will demand at least 150
new glazing professionals
- Residential construction is expected to continue a healthy
growth, resulting in an increased demand for manufacturing
and installation of windows, skylights and doors
- The Vancouver Convention Centre requires 1.5 acres of
sheathed glass, including a 11 storey solid glass wall.
About 100 workers will be needed for this major project
- Dozens more glass sheathed buildings are on the drawing
board for BC.
Glazing opportunities in BC and across North America need
to recruit qualified people as fast as possible to overcome
a serious skills shortage. A recent survey of BC Glazing companies
shows hundreds of new openings will be created in the industry
over the next decade. There are 1,060 glaziers in BC. Almost
a quarter of them will retire in the next few years plus new
jobs will be created to meet the economic demand.
- Construction has provided the largest number of BC’s
new jobs in recent years and is expected to keep growing.
- The shortage of glaziers in BC –now and in the next
5 to 10 years – has been identified by the Glazing
Contractors Association of BC in partnership with the Window
and Door Manufactures Association of BC, the International
Union of Painters and Allied Trades, District Council 38
and other industry representatives.
- Glazing employment is expected to increase by an average
1.9% per year compared with 1.4% for all jobs in BC.
Glazing at a Glance
- Excellent job placement opportunities in BC
- A great job for men or women
- Not always associated with heights
- Ideal for people who love the outdoors, although there
is plenty of opportunity for indoor work in the manufacturing,
fabrication and service sector.